Ubiquiti make great wireless access points and controllers for the enterprise. We have been looking to condense all our controllers in to a single controller for all of our clients. This makes management far easier, as well as providing additional revenue streams.
This is a step by step guide on how to configure your own cloud controller for unifi products on Ubuntu.
- Grab a vps from somewhere like AWS, Rackspace, our download the free VMWare ESXi and host it yourself
- Install Ubuntu
- Log in to Ubuntu and edit your source files and add (/etc/apt/sources.list)
deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/distros/deb/precise precise ubiquiti
- Type apt-get update
- Type apt-get install unifi-beta
- Once this has finished installing, go to the web address @ https://hostname:8443
- You should see the following information. Fill it in, then login with your username and password
- Now you need to point your APs to your hostname and publish it externally. That’s a bit too hard to go in this article, but leave a comment if you get stuck here. Follow this Youtube link on how to configure your APs to an external address.
- In part two, I will show you how to connect the clients and create client groups.
- Your done. leave any comments below 🙂