Windows Update Services, or WSUS can be a real pain at the best of times. On Small Business Servers, which are often neglected, some strange issues can arise.
The most common issue is that WSUS goes crazy and downloads everything. Yes, this does happen.
You may not know, but you shouldn’t uninstall WSUS on a domain controller, IE Small Business Server.
Here is how you can disable it and clean up the mess.
- Under Options, select Products and Classifications
- Unselect everything, and then select Bing Bar. You need something selected.
- Under Classifications, select Critical Updates
- Remove Automatic Approvals
- Run the Server Cleanup Wizard with everything selected
- Once this is done, you can leave WSUS as is, or you can disable the service
- With the service stopped and disabled, you can also delete the content database. Only do this if you are never going to use WSUS again.
Hopefully this has helped someone.