We’ve done a lot of work on Storage Spaces recently to try and find out why our new parity array on server 2019 was slow.
The hardware is the following:
12x 8TB 7200RPM 512e drives
When creating the Storage Space, the logical sector size is set from the disk. These disks are 512e drives with a 512 sector size. The default sector size created is 4k.
You can either buy native 4k drives at the outset, or set your Storage Space to 4k.
Here is our storage spaces before the change:
From my techs
By default when creating a storage pool, the logical sector size should match the highest physical sector in the disk pool, in this case it should be 4K, but maybe due to this drive is 512e drive, so the logical sector stays in 512. This will cause 8 times delay and performance delay due to the OS and disk controller is doing so called “RMW” operation. The picture below described how the performance get affected by this way.
Once we change our Storage Space to 4k, we started to get 120-160mb/s across the array, all the time. Before this, we were getting 30-60mb/s with many stutters.
I’ve been working on an issue for the past week with the following hardware/software:
3x Lenovo x3650 M5 Type 5462
6x Fusion-MPT 12GSAS SAS3008 (two each host)
1x IBM v3700 SAN
VMWare 6.0 U2 (Lenovo image)
The HBA’s and SAN were configured in the following manner:
What I didn’t realise early on was that multipathing from the SAN to VMWare was not working. As I was in a rush, I saw the SAS connections were live. The SAN said everything was ok, so I didn’t think twice.
However, on closer inspection on the SAN, I found that only one SAS HBA on each host was active. Hmm, what was going on?
VMWare was also reporting the same issue:
Initially, I thought this was a SAN issue. I contacted support who checked out the SAN and couldn’t find any issue.
I then contacted VMWare who initially said the configuration was not supported (driver wise). Actually, what I found is VMWare were referring to the wrong driver.
After about a week of going back and forward, I noticed the drivers that were shipped with the Lenovo VMWare image were not the latest. I proceed to update the drivers which in turn, enabled multi-pathing in VMWare.
This was quite a simple issue but made a bit more complicated as all the hardware seemed supported and at the right driver level.
The correct driver was the lsi-msgpt3 driver found here. lsi-msgpt3 version lsi-msgpt3 version 13.00.00.00-1OEM. The installed version was lsi-msgpt3 version 12.00.00.00-1OEM.