I was attempting to update my home computer to 1903 to test the new Sandbox feature. When I ran the Windows 10 Upgrade Adviser, I hit the following error.
It would be great if this error message showed you what the actual issue was.
Luckily, there is a method to find this out.
- Open File explorer and click the View tab. Make sure the check box for Hidden items is selected.
- Select This PC, and type *_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml in the search box and search the PC for file names that end with this term.
- Right click the file that ends with _APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml and open the file with Notepad.
- Press CTRL + F and search for DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication. Look for the value, it should be True.
- Press CTRL + F and search for LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded. The value contains the file path of the program that should be removed or transferred to another drive. (It should be located approximately 28 lines under the DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication).
- Make note of the file path listed in the value for LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded. You can select the file path and copy it to the Notepad by pressing CTRL + C.
- Navigate to the file path’s location in File Explorer. (Click in File Explorer’s address bar and press CTRL + V to paste the file path you copied earlier.)
- Once you’ve located the blocking.exe file, transfer the file to another drive or Delete the file.
You may also download run this batch file to automatically perform the steps above: https://aka.ms/AppRPS (You should be prompted to download a zip file named AppRPS.zip)
The zip file method is the fastest.
From the output, you can see the problem service. In my case, it’s BattleEye, an anti-cheat system for games.
From here you will be able to remove the problem applications or update the required drivers.
Hope this helps!